Thursday, April 24, 2014

Independent Component 2

LITERAL 
  • I, Devanna Terry, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work. 
  • To complete my independent component, my main source would be my (ex) mentor, Elana Blum, who actually gave me the idea of hosting a towel drive in the first place. 
  • During my 30+ hours of mentorship (and still going), I achieved in going out of my comfort zone and speaking out to strangers and my iPoly peers about something very significant to me. Before going out and announcing the towel drive, I worked with a senior teacher to put together a committee. With that, I acquired all of their emails and asked them if they wouldn't mind helping me out. Fortunately, no one said no. Later along the way, a few other people actually came to me and asked if they could help. Whenever I was given the chance, I would ask a senior teacher if I may go around and announce to each classroom about my towel drive and if they could please begin donating.
INTERPRETIVE 
As I stated above, I and other iPoly students went around the school to announce the Towel Drive. During our meeting, I told them what it was about and covered the 5 w's. They then reported to the rest of the students and said that if they had any questions, they could just ask me. Some classes were a little unresponsive, but it happens. Aside from just iPoly, after school and mostly during spring break, I visited a neighborhood, elementary school, and beach to collect donated towels and explain what it was for. One of the days, there was a bonfire at the beach, and for the people who were invited, they were asked to bring at least one towel. Other days (a normal day for me), I spent the entire day at the beach, from my morning yoga until sunset and kindly went about and talked to a couple of strangers about my project and if they might have a towel on them they were willing to donate. Surprisingly, a couple of people were so interested and intrigued by my project that they wanted to help me go around and ask other people for their towels. As far as going through a neighborhood, my mom's boss's neighborhood is very family oriented and pet friendly. She and I went around and knocking on doors asking for towels. (I brought my mom's boss around since her neighbors know her). That was another huge success.

Beach Bonfire
Collecting towels from local neighborhood
(way more pictures to come)

APPLIED
This component very well helped me answer a part of my essential question, when we're looking at both my second and best answer. That answer solely focuses on hosting events that promote shelter adoptions, in this case, I was trying to get donations from people. It isn't as easy as saying, "Hey. Do you have any towels you don't want anymore?" There were different methods that had to be used to persuade the iPoly kids especially to help donate towels. A guilt trip and explanation behind the project was the big picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment